I have an inner fashionista.
I have been falling in love with fashion again. I was falling in love with putting myself together. I had reinvented myself repeatedly when it came to my wardrobe, hairstyle, makeup, and skincare.
HOW YOU DRESS SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT YOU
How you dress does say something about you, it’s a statement you give off to the world.
Years ago, I never cared about how I dressed; I was too caught up with being depressed and could only afford cheap clothing. Even with affordable clothing, I never put the effort to do my hair, make-up or bother to think about how I was showing up in the world.
It wasn’t until a cousin of mine who loves to tell me everything that was wrong about me and what everyone was saying behind my back said to me, “do you know the family speaks about the way you dress? “You dress as if you are poor”.
I’ll admit that crushed me; I was working for barely anything in a country I didn’t want to be in. I was broken and didn’t care how I showed up on the inside. I was hurt because I didn’t think it was my fault for my shabby dress code, but it was my fault, and I am grateful to that ex-cousin of mine for telling me I looked poor and I looked like a hot mess.
The Universe sent me a message through her that day, and as much as it bothered the F*ck out of me for days and months, little by little, I made improvements in my fashion.
When I changed how I wanted to show up in the world, I changed how I dressed in simple steps without breaking the bank and kept my modestly intact.
I have never been the one to wear short-dresses or tank tops, maybe a good cleavage now and then, but I take pride in not wanting to expose my body and don’t pressure myself to look like anyone else. I learned how to put myself together without losing “Me.”
How you put yourself together leads to mindset.
How is your mindset, and how do you feel about yourself?.
Instead of asking how I can show up for the World, first ask yourself how I want to show up for MYSELF today?
A woman I was listening to on youtube said “I am dressing up for GOD”, she went on to explain that being presentable to her creator worked for her to put in that effort into her appearance. I thought to myself “that is a very nice way to put it“. Also, it’s a nice way to change from a Poor Mentality to a More Abundant one. As so often we are told that in order to be godly you can’t be rich and that is total bullshit.
Find something that works for you.
Show up for YOU first when you dress, and then everything else will fall into place.
TIPS FOR GETTING DRESSED WHEN YOU WANT TO WEAR PJs TO WORK.
- On Sunday’s get your outfits together. If you can wear jeans to work, then count yourself blessed. Jeans can be dressed down and dressed up.
- If you like prints find ways to make them work. To start off choose one print for either the top or the bottom, never together. (for now)
- Choose a colour palette that works best with your skin tone.
- Invest in staple pieces such as Black Blazer, Jeans, Dress Pants, Denim Shirt, Belts with some jazz, nude tones in pink go great with most skin tones.
- Shoe, this might need a whole blog post on its own, but you do not need to go overboard but have enough options. Wedges, Lofts, scandels (shoes are personal and should give some form of comformt and style at the same time)
- Look at Pinterest for wardrobe capsule ideas. This will give you much-needed guidance and they also have ideas for plus women which I love.
- Give away clothing that you do not use and you know you feel awful in.
- Wear your outfits with pride, start prancing in front of the mirror and shout “dam you fine”
- Remeber to carry your self with much love and care, what you put on will refelect the way you feel and your vibe.
- If you know if looks terrible, you don’t feel good in DO NOT WEAR IT.
- You are always safe with wearing black. Some women don’t like to wear black, but I love it.
Honestly, you have to wear what brings you joy, what you feel confident in.
Yes, it is all about your mind, but all these outside elements like shoes, purses, jeans, make-up etc., add to how you feel and affect how you think.
Remember, the main goal is your mindset, but even the mind might need some convincing.